|Sale price||$0.00 (as of 4pm, 03/30/2017)|
|Drive size||1/4″ hex|
|Weight (w/o battery)||2.1 lbs|
|Weight (with battery)||2.9 lbs!|
|Speed (no load)||0-2300 rpm|
Mfr Data Sheet
|Combo kit||LCT200W (2 tools)|
Deviating from the Makita teal, the black and white of the BTD142HW indicates membership in the Makita compact lithuim ion line. The tools are (surprise!) more compact and come with a smaller battery – only 0.85 lbs – which can charge in only 15 minutes.
While the rated torque of 1280 in-lbs is slightly lower than the Makita BTD141, you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. The impact driver will put screws into just about any material you want it to – pressure treated wood, hardwoods, brick, even Tapcon screws into concrete blocks – without trouble. The bit always stays seated in the screw head, too, with no stripping, even while driving the screw below the surface.
Removing old, stuck screws is no problem either. Even if you have slightly stripped them, the little Makita loosens and removes them effortlessly.
The BTD142HW is a pleasure to use as well. The grip design is ergonomic and comfortable, and even larger hands can find a relaxing hold on the compact tool. Additionally, the light weight, small size makes it super-easy to get into tight places and work long hours with out getting fatigued.
2 18V compact lithium ion batteries come with the kit. They are very lightweight, at just over 8 tenths of a pound, and recharge in only 15 minutes! That’s half the time of Makita’s LXT lithium ion batteries, and 3 to 4 times faster than some competitors.
However, as you might expect, the batteries have a shorter life as well. Only 1.5 amp-hours for these batteries, vs 3 amp hours for the LXT. That being said, 1.5 amp-hours translates into a lot of daylight hours and a lot of screws.
If you have LXT betteries from another Makita product, this accepts them as well.
- The afterglow LED keeps the light on for roughly 10 seconds after you release the trigger. This handy feature makes it easy to inspect your work when you finish setting a screw or bolt, as well as give you extra time to either prep your next fastener or find a dropped one.
- Another thoughtful feature is the phosphorescent bumper ring. In dim locations, this makes the cordless impact driver easy to spot.
- A hard case is always a nice thing to see with any cordless tool. In the long term this cuts down on abuse the tool will take, as well as keep the charger/batteries all together.
- Like the previous model, the forward/reverse switch can be accidentally hit (usually knocking it into the middle ‘stop’ selection) This is especially the case if you have larger hands.
- No included belt clip. At the price point for this tool, that should be included.
The Makita BTD142HW is an excellent cordless impact driver. Compact, yet powerful – and super light weight. While the price may be too high for some, it’s worth taking the plunge – especially if you can find one on sale.
|Makita BTD142HW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit
18v cordless impact driver, two 18v compact lithium-ion batteries, 18v 15-min charger, tool case
|Makita LCT200W 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit, 2-Piece
BTD142HW cordless impact driver, LXFD01CW cordless drill, two 18v compact lithium-ion batteries, 18v 15-min charger, tool bag